Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Generation "ME"

In talking about our children who are in the age group of around 18 to 22 ish years of age, I've found out recently that they are tagged "Generation Me".  How appropriate is that?

I have been in touch with several friends and a few strangers here who have visited my blog and all of us have one thing in common.  Children who have no living or coping skills.

How did this happen?  It's not an isolated incident.  It seems that every parent that I talk to is having issues with their child.  They won't get a job or can't keep one.  They are disconnected from the realities of the world and beg to be saved on a regular basis.

I look back on my parenting and I wonder what I could have done differently. 

I heard a saying yesterday that went something like this "We can't move froward if we're looking in the rear view mirror".  Ouch.  I'm guilty of this especially right now.

If I could turn back the clock and do it all over again, I think I would have given my daughter more responsibility and taught her about money management.  I would have encouraged her to be accountable for her actions and to take responsibility for herself.

Having said this, I think that I have been very present and that I have given my child a shiny box of tools for her to use in her life.  But as a wise man once said "Just because you have a lot of tools, doesn't make you a carpenter"!  In other words you have to use them for them to work.  sigh.

I am trying desperately NOT to reside in morbid reflection.  Everything is as it should be in spite of the pain that it elicits.

So the best i can do today is to pray for God's will and not mine.  And ask for the grace to be quiet.  To reside in love and to move forward.

"We do not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it."

As I said yesterday, I have a magical opportunity in front of me.  Am I brave enough to take it?  Can I put my big girl panties on today and utilize some of those shiny tools I have?

I think so. 

Hopefully this will not turn into "Mr. Toad's Wild Ride"!

Here's hoping our day is filled with unexpected abundance and the presence to say thank you when it comes!

With Love,

Linder

No comments:

Post a Comment