Thursday, November 19, 2009

Pioneer Woman update

Any true Goddess of the blog would have a pictorial of this evenings event.

But, life has conspired against me with a dead camera battery so you must close your eyes (but not really) and imagine what I am about to describe to you in your most vivid minds eye.

So girlfriend Linda and I (both having had a less than sterling day) headed to Skokie with great anticipation of the evening ahead. 

After circling the parking lot like vultures looking for a space, we decided on the back 40 where no one in a big city ventures because it means you have to WALK to your destination.

The book store was controlled chaos.   We were handed numbers 236 and 237...236 & 237!? Sweet Mother of God how many people are here tonight?  By my calculations it came in at over 300 men (that's right) women and children.  Wow, and I mean WOW how cool is that?

Ree Drummond entered wearing some snappy looking boots and a new hair color.  I spied her handsome Marlboro man and 2 mini m&m's in tow.   2 cuter boys I've never seen.  Also very well behaved until Dad caught them cruising up and down the escalators! 

How do I know all of this?  I had a birds eye view from the balcony of the store, quietly waiting my turn to meet Ree, have my book signed and give her my blog address.  

Alas, I am sad to report that after a little over 1/2 an hour my resolve (and my bladder) started to slip.   When shifting from one foot to the other began to fail me, I noticed that my tummy started to sing a merry tune as well.  Hey, why not, the more the merrier I always say.

I think you see where this is going.  I bailed.  I know, I suck but it would have been hours before i got to the front of the line.  But here's my PollyAnna twist to the evening...

Linda and I got the gift of listening to Ree speak.  We were able to appreciate all the wonderful people who admire her and also came out to celebrate her new cookbook as well as herself.  That's pretty special!

Me, being me, I gave my number to a gal at the end of the line and made a bee line to the floor below where I spotted Marlboro Man and some seriously pretty t-shirts that they gave away to everyone who stopped by tonight.  That is some serious hospitality my friends!

I told Marlboro Man that I was bailing on account of my grumbling tummy (like I was seriously going to tell him I had to pee?)  Have you seen this man?  He is just flat out yummy.

OK, I digress...sorry.  ANYWAY, I got my Pioneer Woman cookbook and I gave my card with my blog address on it to Marlboro Man and asked if he would pass it along to Ree.  Can't hurt, right?  Who knows, Ree Drummond could be reading this right now and laughing her tiny behind off!  In my world that's how it looks anyway.

So I found a bathroom and then a restaurant and God love everyone who stuck it out because an hour and some change later the line was still there and so was Ree smiling beautifully and treating everyone as if they were the very first in line.  I consider that classy.

Maybe next book signing I'll get a chance to say hello.  Just for today I am happy for my evening and the laughter my girlfriend and I shared and the book that I bought and Lord but I was grateful for the bathroom that I found too. 

Thanks to Ree Drummond for showing up!  A great time was had by all.

Love,
Linder

P.S. pics of the t-shirt as soon as the new charger arrives.  I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment