Friday, February 26, 2010

My Michael Keaton moment...

I realize that I originally intended to use this blog to document the remodeling process of our new (old victorian) home in Evanston but that's going kind of slow as is the business of being a weekend wife, so today I'm going to tell you a little story.  A story I call my Michael Keaton moment.

Now for those who know me well, you would know that I'm pretty smitten with the likes of Michael Keaton.  There is something about a man with beautiful lips, gorgeous eyes and a yummy sense of humor that just kind of does it for me, you know? 

The first time he captured my attention, I was in the gym, on the treadmill reading some random 3 month old crap magazine that gyms and doctors offices certainly must cycle back and forth to each other.  ANYWAY I flip to an article on Michael Keaton...he's in a bubble bath and he's laughing.

That was the hook.  Pure unadulterated lust struck me.

That was in Washington State.

Fast forward several years and I'm living in L.A. working in the homes of the rich and famous.

I'm in my 30's, I have a pretty hourglass figure and hair down past my butt that I normally wear in one long braid. 

I get off work one day near a Malibu-ish little burb and I am begging.  I mean my day has been for shit and I'm crying when I get in my silver Chevy Lumina van (that's right, I was seriously styling back then) and I head for home.

I'm crying, driving with one hand, pulling the braid in my hair loose with the other and I glance over to my right and here is this handsome, handsome man on a bike.

I look at him and have this very clear thought " I want a man like that." 

He was dressed nicely and was sun kissed and he just was sheer yumminess.  The kind of yummy that grabs at you and whispers "Oh my!"

He stepped off his bike, looked straight at me, and smiled.  I smiled back.  He slid his sunglasses up his forehead just as I was driving past him.  And we were just smiling at each other.  Just a moment.

And then I thought, Sweet Jesus, that was Michael Keaton!

I slammed on my brakes...paused...looked in the rear view mirror. 

He was still there.

And I...paused again...and then kept driving.

I got scared!  What was I going to say?  I still had tears on my face for pity sakes!

It was a lovely, lovely moment.  My moment.

I never met him but came very close several times. 

I think I gave up when a co-worker of mine,  ironically, Michael's best friend, told me he would not introduce me because Michael only liked skinny girls.  He wouldn't like me, he said, I would just end up getting hurt.

In retrospect, I wonder if it ever occurred to that jackass that telling me that I was fat (btw, I weighed about 135 then) was a hateful and hurtful thing.  ugh.

I wonder every now and again if that lovely little moment on the street resonated with him as much as it did with me?  Maybe, possibly, perhaps.

I hope so.

The truth is that on a day when I felt very little love, a random person smiled at me and my world brightened a bit.  Regardless of who that was, it was so needed and I will always be grateful!

1 comment: